Thursday, May 6, 2010

Door prize winners for National Scrapbook Day: Donna Robinson, Cara Riker, Rhiannon Hirchert, Barb Noga and Sue Myers! Congrats...swing buy to pick up your goodies anytime.


I just wanted to Thank everyone that stopped in on Saturday for National Scrapbook Day and made a purchase! Kara and I had a blast. You don't know how appreciative we are to have your patronage. When you stop in and ACTUALLY buy things from the "little mom and pop" shops that you love, you help them to keep their doors open. We try to provide a huge array of services here at Altered Art and Scrap Playground, products that you won't find at the big box stores for two or three of years...I have lots of companies that specialize in independent scrapbook stores only. They believe that they are the heart and soul of the industry. Plus, services that we do not charge for...such as our class room usage space, special help on projects, and of course therapy in it's many many forms :-). When you buy your items from us instead of Hobby Lobby or Michaels...you keep us "afloat". So I just wanted to say Thank You and to put a little bug in your ear that it DOES matter where you spend your dollars...and if you have a specialty store in your area, especially one that offers non-monetary services that you love...stop in and spend a few bucks in there...that is the best way to keep them around and to let them know that they matter!


Check out the link for Project 350.. http://www.the350project.net/home.html Saving the Brick and Mortars our Nation is Built On!

What three independently owned businesses would you miss if they disappeared? Stop in. Say hello. Pick up something that brings a smile. Your purchases are what keeps those businesses around.

For me, it's easy...owning my own store, I try to do as much local business as I can. I do very little Internet shopping, no revenue comes back into our city. My favorite local businesses? Main Street Market, Bag Ladies, B&L Bagels.

I use Evergreen for my business supplies, Jon at Impressions for the best business stamps you will ever find anywhere. We even try to dine at independently owned restaurants. Pauly's, B&L Bagels, and Piesano's are our favorites.

For every $100 spent in locally owned independent stores, $68 returns to the community through taxes, payroll, and other expenditures. If you spend that in a national chain, only $43 stays here. Spend it online and nothing comes home!

1 The number of people it takes to start a trend...you.

I would love to hear your favorite three independent stores! Email them and I will put them all in an email and put your name in for a drawing!

2 comments :

Anonymous said...

Congrats Ladies!!!
Yay for you.

So, my fave local businesses are:
1. Altered Arts and Scrap Playground
2. Unpainted Furniture (thought I"m still trying to figure out if they are truly considered local.)
3. B&L Bagels (It helps that they are just across the street from the Playground.)

And, new favorite because I just FINALLY went there and bought something: Jeans Alley. I love my jeans. And, I love good service.

Beth said...

There are lots of good choices in town, but I love these:
1) Altered Art & Scrap Playground
2) Pauly's - I just discovered the club wrap and it's a new favorite, but the pizzas are great too!
3) The pie and sandwiches at Coffee Lobby - they are in my building so it's easy access!

Back to Top