Saturday, September 15, 2012

Inspiration Elevator Reveal


You may recall from last month's challenge that the purpose of this challenge group was to take our scrapbooking to the next level, to stretch our creative process and to grow as artists by embracing challenges that make us think, work and grow. 


This month our challenger was the very talented Laurel Seabrook. Laurel loves flea markets and garage sales and would love to incorporate more of those items into her art. In fact, we have invited a valued guest designer to join us this month; her name is Christy Riopel. We welcome, Christy from her regular writing and creating job at Canadian Scrapbooker magazine.

Here's a bit of what Laurel had to say in her challenge this month.

"I love going to garage sales, flea markets and thrift shops to find fun items for me to upcycle into something else either for my own home or to give as a gift. I also love just to pick up some old things that appear to have some sort of story to them. I love the shabbiness of old, worn items and the warm comforting feeling they evoke.

My challenge for you is to scrap an old photo/photos. Not only that I want you to incorporate something that is not normally a scrapping item, upcycle/recycle something to include on your layout. Vintage is definitely not my style when it comes to paper crafting. I like clean and simple so this will be a challenge for me."


This was quite a challenge, I haven't created with vintage items in quite a while..but I did have some things in my stash.  A wonderful plastic doily from the 50's that a girl friend found while hitting the garage sales and lots of old patterns from a very special neighbor of my parents. I have boxes and boxes of them to create with..and everytime I look at them, they make me smile and bring back so many wonderful memories of her and my childhood!
 The layout is of my Grandma and yes, she had smashing style!  
I sprayed Glimmer Mist over the doily towards the center, but it is kind of hard to see.  Lots of layering, some machine stitching, and flowers cut from the vintage sewing envelopes and patterns!

The sketch is from Page Drafts.

I hope you will stop by and see what the designers on this adventure have created:



 We would love to see what you are inspired to create. Add your comment below with a link, I will be sure to drop by and say hello.



8 comments :

Unknown said...

just amazing, love that you use the pattern packages for flowers as well as the patterns. the photo is so perfect!

Tracey said...

A fantastic page!!

Lisa Spiegel said...

WOW! I love how you used the patterns for flowers and the paper is perfect...your grandma is just lovely, too!!

LisaM said...

WOW! This is amazing Cathy! Love your design and colors.

Christa said...

GORGEOUS!!! Lisa the double focal points of your photo and the dress form is genius and the flowers are fab. This is gorgeous!

Joanne said...

Fabulous layout! I love the whole theme of the page and how you used the old patterns to make your flowers! Great job!
Joanne xo

Audrey Yeager said...

Cathy I just LOVE how you did the title!!! Beautiful page and such great colors!

Ann Jobes said...

I love your flowers made from patterns. Isn't that funny that you and I both scrapped a photo of our grandmas, and used this MME line!? Your page is beautiful!

Back to Top